Latest posts by Sumana Chakraborty (see all)
- 5 Scary Places in India Which You Should . . .Avoid - October 27, 2017
- Prawn Curry With Coconut (West Bengal) - September 17, 2017
- Kolkata: The Top 10 Attractions - September 15, 2017
West Bengal, the cultural state of India, is popularly known as the land of maach (fish) and vaat (rice). An irrevocable relationship has been formed between the Bengalis and these two food items, and you can trace it in almost any household in Bengal.
This beautiful and ethnic state of India is surrounded by countless rivers. Hence, one of the main attractions of West Bengal is the sweet fresh-water fish – among which pabda, koi, and katla are the most popular. You might be amazed to find out, that a total of 40 different types of fresh-water fish can be found and are served in Bengal.
The cuisine of West Bengal is wonderfully rich, distinct and it has been influenced by Nawabs. Throughout the centuries, it has evolved into a perfect combination of delicate and fiery flavours. Though nowadays, you can also see the influence of certain European snack food traditions as well. For instance, some delicious items like chops and cutlets are basically British in origin, but surprisingly – they are now being served in almost every household in Bengal.
Overall, our fish has heavily influenced our cuisine, due to its unique taste and tenderness. So how can we forget the delicious recipe for Chingri malaikari with coconut? Chingri refers to the river prawn. And when it is bathed in a creamy coconut milk it looks amazingly scrumptious. It’s a traditional Bengali recipe and is prepared on various special occasions, like the Bengali Nababarsa, which is also known as the Bengali New Year, or even on a Bengali wedding ceremony.
Let’s now find out how to prepare this delicious dish called prawn curry with coconut, aka the “chingri maach ar malaicurry”.
- 400 gr prawns
- 3 tablespoon mustard oil
- 1/2 tbsp ginger paste
- 1/2 tbsp garlic paste
- 1 tbsp onion paste
- 1 teaspoon ground chili powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 2 tsp ghee
- 2 tbsp card
- 1 and a half cup coconut milk
How to prepare the prawn curry with coconut:
- To prepare the prawn curry with coconut – you have to begin by cleaning the prawns with water. When done – marinate it with 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder and 2 teaspoons of salt.
- Next, heat some mastered oil in a deep pan. Fry the prawns lightly and keep them aside in a bowl.
- In another frying pan heat some oil on a low medium flame, and add 2 teaspoons of ghee, 1 bay leaf, cinnamon, cardamom, and cloves and let all the spices crackle. Then add onion paste and fry the mixture. Next, you have to add the garlic paste with ginger paste, and again fry it for 3 more minutes on a medium flame.
- Then add half teaspoon turmeric powder, 1 tsp ground chili powder, a ¼th pinch of salt, half tsp sugar and 2 tbsp of card. The card should be properly mixed with 1/4th pinch of salt and a half tsp of sugar.
- Now add the fried prawn and fry it for a while.
- Later you can put off the flame, add the coconut milk and 1/2 tsp garam masala.
- Garnish the chingrir malaikari with tomato and coriander leaves.
Serve on the table to enjoy and impress all your guests!