If you are in Florence you cannot miss the opportunity to spend at least one day in the Chianti countryside.
I will tell you here the 5 things to do to enjoy it at it’s best!
The Chianti area in Tuscany extends over the provinces of Florence and Siena. Chianti area is one of the most beautiful in the whole region, as well as the most well-known and appreciated by visitors from across the world because of its red wine: the Chianti.
The Chianti landscapes are so beautiful and unique that they inspire many photographers and painters. It offers unique landscapes, with green, gentle hills covered with wide fields of vineyards and olive groves, small stone villages, characteristic parishes and countryside homes in stone.
You will often find references to the “Florentine Chianti” and the “Sienese Chianti” to define the areas closest to one or the other city.
So here are the 5 things you have to do while visiting the area:
1. Rent a car and drive through the area’s roads.
2. Admire the view of the vineyards on the hills and the magnificent panoramas with it’s colours.
3. Stop to visit wine cellars and taste great Chianti wines.
4. Eat in one of the many good Hostarias that you will find on the way. My suggestion is to try the Mac Dario at Dario Doc, in Panzano in Chianti. But there are other different options from its menu that you can choose. Dario Cecchini, the owner, is a worldwide known butcher.
5. Visit the hilltop villages, with their medieval-era buildings and churches that are still standing.
You can choose any time of the year to come and spend one day in the Chianti. But my favourite season is Fall, where you can still enjoy sunny days and admire the vibrant colors of nature.
So what are you waiting for? Chianti is waiting for you!