Latest posts by Caroline Rangel (see all)
- Exploring Mykonos: Things To See and To Do - August 23, 2016
- The Surreal Lençóis Maranhenses National Park - June 16, 2016
- Heart of Palm Creamy Pie (Torta Cremosa de Palmito) - June 16, 2016
The heart of palm creamy pie is one of my specialities, in Portuguese: torta cremosa de palmito!
When I was a kid, my mom used to bake heart of palm pies. As I grew older, I started to adapt the recipe and I created this version. It’s very popular in my family nowadays.
I’m not a great cook, but this one is easy to do. Easy is my type of cooking! 🙂
It’s completely vegetarian, healthy and most important: it’s delicious!
Palmito is (as the name in English says), the heart of the palm tree. There are two very popular types of palm in Brazil: açaí and pupunha. You can use both types to prepare this recipe.
Palmito is a very light ingredient, often used to prepare salads, only 28 kcal per 100g. It has a high content of calcium, iron, vitamin C and fiber!
I love palmito! I could eat jars and more jars with olive oil on top. Huummmm!
So, where to buy heart of palm? You can usually find canned heart of palm in most supermarkets. Try the international foods section, it’s likely to be there.
For the Crust
- 1 ½ cups of white flour
- 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter
- 100g of table cream or light cream
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 2 teaspoon of baking powder
For the Filling
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup of frozen peas (optional, if you don’t like peas…)
- 1 jar of hearts of palm sliced (about 300g)
- 3/4 cup of green olives, pitted and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons of white flour
- 1 cup of milk
- 2 tablespoons of parsley leaves, finely chopped
- Salt and black pepper
For the filling, heat the olive oil in a medium-sized saucepan.
When the ingredients start to create a broth, dissolve the white flour into the milk, and add the mix to the pan.
Let it cook for more 5 minutes, stirring constantly. The broth will become rich and creamy.
Let it cool while you prepare the crust.
For the crust, combine the flour, salt, table cream, butter and baking powder in a large bowl.
Work the dough until it’s smooth and does not stick to your hands (you can use a food processor).
Preparing the Pie
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F degrees (180°C).
2. To assemble the pie, use a 25cm (~10 inch) removable bottom pan, or an ovenproof dish, if you’re not considering removing the pie from the dish. Use your fingers to model the dough into the pan.
- Bake it for about 25 minutes, until the tip and top are golden.
- Remove from oven and let cool for at least 15 minutes. The pie can be served hot or at room temperature.