Matjaz is a translator from Slovenia who enjoys traveling, writing, reading, and watching movies. He believes that a person's character grows and becomes richer by meeting new people and discovering new cultures and places.
Latest posts by Matjaz Drobne (see all)
- Potica – Traditional Slovenian Sweet Roll with Walnuts - December 30, 2017
- Traditional Slovenian Dishes Served on Christmas - December 23, 2017
- Popular Slovenian Christmas Traditions - December 20, 2017
As we know – Christmas is the time for families to come together and enjoy every precious moment, celebrating the occasion. And, we all love cookies, right? So here’s my recipe for the Slovenian chocolate Christmas cookies with walnuts.
This special type of cookies has become somewhat of a tradition in typical Slovenian households. In fact, its recipe is passed on from generations to generations. For example, my mom got it from her mom, and she in turn, got it from her mom (my grand-grand-mother).
If you are somewhat familiar with Slovenian cuisine, especially sweets, you’d probably know that Slovenians seem to have a thing for walnuts and nuts in general. So of course – it’s one of the main ingredients in this recipe.
- 250g of coconut flour
- 120g of powdered chocolate
- 100g ground walnuts
- 250g of caster sugar
- 3 eggs
How to Make the Traditional Slovenian Chocolate Christmas Cookies:
Time required: 30 minutes
1. First mix together the coconut flour, powdered chocolate and walnuts.
2. Place three egg whites into a separate bowl, and mix well until they harden. Add 250g of caster sugar and stir the mixture together until the dough thickens. When done, add three egg yolks and continue gently mixing it, until the dough becomes soft and thick.
3. Next, add the second dough to the first one and mix them both briskly.
4. Place the dough on a clean table, carve out small round balls with your hands and then roll them in caster sugar. Please note – the smaller the balls the faster they will bake. Place the balls onto a baking tray and leave them in the oven for about 20-25 minutes at 180C degrees. And that’s it – the cookies are now ready to be served!
These chocolate Christmas cookies are really easy to make. What’s more – you can invite your kids or grandkids and turn baking cookies into a fun activity for the entire family to enjoy. These cookies taste best with a cup of tea, coffee, cocoa or hot chocolate. ☕️ Enjoy!