Petra, Jordan - Global Storybook

30 Photos That Will Inspire You To Visit Petra

Officially, there are only seven wonders of the World, and the magnificent “Lost City” of Petra is proudly one of them.  It got its nickname due to actually being “lost” to civilization for many centuries, until it was re-discovered again in 1800’s.

Located in the middle of a desert, this ancient, prehistoric city was once a thriving capital of a powerful empire, until it was conquered by the Romans and left to decay.

It’s definitely not a small city, stretching for over a 100 square miles (more than 250 kilometers), and yet only about 15% of it was officially “discovered” by archeologists until today.  They are still working hard to unearth the remaining 85%, buried deep in the ground and completely untouched by generations of humans.

As you will see on the pictures, this mysterious city was carved entirely from the pink and yellow sandstone cliffs.  Since Petra was also a spiritual city, it has a number of astonishing temples, altars and burial sites.

Since it’s the number one attraction in Jordan, it’s quite easy to get here from any point in the country.  From the capital city of Amman, it’s about a 3 hour drive (one-way).

It is possible to see this incredible sight in one day, but we would highly recommend to spend at least two (or even three) days here, with an overnight stay in the nearby town, called Wadi Musa.

As was mentioned above – Petra is huge, and there are a number of things you can do – like go hiking, to enjoy the best views from the top of the cliffs.  You will also have an opportunity to meet some local bedouins, have your picture taken with a camel, and even ride a donkey.  Just remember that animals suffer from exhaustion too, so please treat them with respect.  Oh, and don’t forget a bottle of water.  Enjoy!

P.S. For more tips on Petra, read our Contributing Editor Ana’s awesome travel story.

Petra, Jordan - Global Storybook
Petra, Jordan - Global Storybook

Petra, Jordan - Global Storybook

Petra, Jordan - Global Storybook

Petra, Jordan - Global Storybook

Petra, Jordan - Global Storybook
Petra, Jordan - Global Storybook

Petra, Jordan - Global Storybook

Petra, Jordan - Global Storybook

Petra, Jordan - Global Storybook

Petra, Jordan - Global Storybook

Petra, Jordan - Global Storybook

Petra, Jordan - Global Storybook

Petra, Jordan - Global Storybook

Petra, Jordan - Global Storybook
Petra, Jordan - Global Storybook

Petra, Jordan - Global Storybook

Petra, Jordan - Global Storybook

Petra, Jordan - Global Storybook

Petra, Jordan - Global Storybook

Petra, Jordan - Global Storybook

Petra, Jordan - Global Storybook

Petra, Jordan - Global Storybook

Petra, Jordan - Global Storybook

Petra, Jordan - Global Storybook

Petra, Jordan - Global Storybook

Petra, Jordan - Global Storybook

Petra, Jordan - Global Storybook

Petra, Jordan - Global Storybook
Pin me:

30 photos that will inspire you to visit PetraPhoto copyrights © Daria Silter

Share this:
#

Related Posts:

Comments

Leave a Comment